Does your Dyson vacuum has a musty smell? Does it smell like a dog? Why is that? Although Dyson vacuum cleaners have been popular for doing tremendous cleaning, it might be confusing when it releases some foul odors. Then, why does your Dyson vacuum cleaner smells like a dog?
Your Dyson vacuum cleaners may be smelling like a dog due to a filled dust container for a long time. Cleaning your Dyson vacuum after each usage is the best method to stop any foul odor from the machine, especially after extended sessions or after cleaning up a stinky mess.
Read this article if you have questions like why does my dyson stink and want to understand the causes of foul smell in Dyson vacuum cleaners and the most effective methods for eliminating those unpleasant odors.
Sometimes you can come across a burning smell coming out from your vacuum, check out this article if you notice your vacuum is smoking.
- Why Does My Dyson Smells Like Dog?
- How to Get Rid of Dog Smell in Dyson Cordless Vacuum?
- Fight Dog Smell in Dyson Cordless with Vacuum Fresheners
- Fight Dog Smell with Baking Soda
- Where Do You Put Vacuum Fresheners in Dyson?
- How often should I replace the Dyson filter to eliminate the dog smell?
- Other Descriptions of a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner That Smells:
- How To Make Dyson Smell Nice Again?
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does My Dyson Smells Like Dog?
Although it may be upsetting to experience foul smells from your Dyson vacuum, there are several plausible explanations for the situation.
One of the leading causes of the foul odor emanating from the vacuum cleaner is pet hair. You will frequently discover hairs everywhere if you live with a pet, such as a dog, cat, or other animals.
The pet/dog hair is usually stinky; to make matters worse, it frequently gets trapped within the machine. They begin producing a more overt odor when left within the machine for an extended period.
Pet’s urine and waste
When you live with pets, you know pets urinate, and pets’ urine has a stench. This is another reason for your vacuum smelling foul.
Pet waste may sometimes dry out, and when you use a vacuum cleaner to clean them, they go inside the device and start to smell when mixed with liquid or other debris.
Dust and debris
Your vacuum may smell like a dog even when you don’t have one. Your vacuum cleaner can smell so because of the dust and debris in the vacuum bag.
If you don’t clean the dust bag for long, it decomposes, leading to a foul smell.
The musty kind of smell can also be because of the mold. The mold could be to blame if you don’t own any pets.
With the aid of humidity and moisture, the dirt, dust, and other particles within the machine might result in mold.
Additionally, they enter the vacuum bag as you begin to vacuum and produce the odor.
How to Get Rid of Dog Smell in Dyson Cordless Vacuum?
Fortunately, the dog smell can be removed easily without damaging your vacuum, but remember to always adhere to routine cleaning and maintenance instructions to keep your dyson vacuum smelling fresh as your house.
Dump Canister After Each Use
If your vacuum comes with a bag, inspect the bag for trash and replace it if it is filled. Please strive to purchase genuine bags produced or suggested by the brand.
You should replace the bag every six months, but if you use the vacuum frequently, it may be sooner.
The Dyson animal series vacuums is far more practical for you if all you need to do is empty the dust canister, wash it, and allow it to dry fully.
Clean the Canister with Mild Soap and Water
After clearing your tank of all garbage completely, scrape out any dirt clustered on the sides using a dry paper towel. If the odor is excessively intense, you should use a tiny scrub brush to get into the cracks and ensure nothing is stuck.
Clean the interior of your container using a damp paper towel dipped in a vinegar-and-water solution. Now that the trash can is completely clean, reassemble your vacuum before reattaching the dust canister to your Dyson, allowing it to dry entirely.
Clean the Filter
Filters become clumped with scum over time; the smell might be because of that too. You can either clean your filter or replace it.
You can clean the filter if you want to avoid spending the money right now to get a new one.
To prevent harming your filter while washing, follow the below instructions:
- Put the filter in the sink and run it under cold water.
- Use no dishwashing detergent or soap.
- Rinse the filter and water one more after squeezing the extra water until the water becomes clear.
- Before putting the filter back in the machine, allow it to air dry for at least 24 hours.
You should replace your filter if it is broken or can no longer be cleaned.
Coat the Canister with Vinegar
Vinegar is a good smell absorbent, so if your vacuum is left with any residual smell, you can coat it with vinegar.
The vinegar will dry out on its own after some time, and you can get rid of the offensive dog smell this way.
The way to use vinegar is to dip it in a cloth and wipe the surfaces of the dust canister with the cloth.
Fight Dog Smell in Dyson Cordless with Vacuum Fresheners
They are far more efficient in eliminating stench and dispersing pleasant aroma across your home than any other thing as they are manufactured for this purpose.
Fight Dog Smell with Baking Soda
The cleansing abilities of baking are widely recognized. This is also the simplest to deodorize dyson vacuum cleaner with baking soda.
Just sprinkle some on the canister’s walls or place some in the vacuum bag. It will aid in preventing harmful bacteria and germs from entering your home.
It doesn’t even have a smell, unlike vacuum fresheners; its smell isn’t too overpowering for your home space.
Where Do You Put Vacuum Fresheners in Dyson?
Put the vacuum cleaner in the dust tank if you want to eliminate the stench emanating from it. Usually, this is where the stench is coming from. Placing the vacuum freshener there will help you eliminate the odor.
However, the post-motor filter is the perfect spot to put it if you want to fill the entire room with a pleasant scent while cleaning. This is because while the vacuum is operating, hot air is released here.
Consequently, the vacuum freshener heats up along with the hot air, allowing the machine’s odor to escape and significantly improving the scent of your space.
Another place where you can place fresheners in a vacuum is its suction nozzle.
When you place an air freshener in the vacuum cleaner’s nozzle, the air from the suction will spin the fragrance and draw it within. This will get rid of the horrible smell within the machine.
Others claim that applying the freshener on the filter has a similar effect.
Try all the given methods to see which one works best for you.
How often should I replace the Dyson filter to eliminate the dog smell?
Dyson recommends changing the filter every 12 months. This is because filters may become clogged with contaminants and may even allow foul odors to return to the space with time.
Your filter will become clogged with microscopic creatures like bacteria, viruses, and mold spores if it is not replaced on time. It will only be able to collect them on the surface of the filter and not be able to clean new ones.
Other Descriptions of a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner That Smells:
You don’t need to feel that your Dyson smells like a dog, especially to point to its foul smell. You can have any of the questions, which will have the same answers as those given in this article.
So, regardless of how you think your Dyson smells, use the suggestions given here and get rid of the musty, burning and vomit-like smell if your dyson vacuum smells bad.
Here are some Other descriptions of a Dyson vacuum cleaner smell:
- Dyson smells musty.
- Dyson smells like rotten eggs.
- Dyson smells of burning rubber.
- Dyson smells like burning.
- Dyson smells like burning hair.
- Dyson smells like vomit.
- Dyson smells like poop.
How To Make Dyson Smell Nice Again?
I have been following these ways to prevent any bad smell in my dyson vacuum cleaner.
- If your vacuum utilizes bags, replace them. If your model is bagless, empty the canister and use soapy water to wash the vacuum’s filter. Before putting the machine back together, let the filters finish drying.
- Combine baking soda and water to make a solution. Use it to thoroughly clean the Dyson vacuums canister, hose, and filters before rinsing them with water. Allow the filters to air dry while using a clean cloth to dry any plastic or metal objects. Reassemble the vacuum when the parts are dried.
- Put vacuum fresheners in the dust trap. Alternatively, you may sprinkle cinnamon or baking soda straight onto the floor before vacuuming as usual. These remedies will give your house and vacuum a new odorless feeling.
If your vacuum smells like dog, there can be many reasons behind it; thankfully, there are ways to prevent this.
- Frequent emptying of the dust container prevents dirt from clumping and potentially developing unpleasant odors.
- To keep your Dyson filters in optimum condition, remember to clean them regularly: at least once a month.
- For those with furry family members, investing in a vacuum designed explicitly for tackling animal hair can be highly advantageous.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I stop my Dyson from smelling of dog?
There are a few steps you can take to help keep your Dyson smelling fresh and free of dog odors.
- Regularly clean the bin, filter, and post-motor filter: Empty the bin when it is complete and always rinse out any debris it may have collected. Clean the filters regularly by tapping them against a waste bin to get rid of any dust and dirt, and always allow them to dry completely before putting them back in the machine.
- Use an anti-odor product: There are numerous products on the market explicitly designed to tackle pet odors. Look for one compatible with your Dyson model and follow the instructions carefully when using it.
- Leave the bin open to air out: Once you’ve emptied the bin and replaced the filters, leave it open overnight to help eliminate any lingering odors. This will also help keep your Dyson smelling fresh between regular cleanings.
- Use baking soda: Sprinkle some baking soda in the bin before vacuuming and leave it for a few hours. Then vacuum out the baking soda, which can help absorb any pet odors.
How do I get rid of the smell in my Dyson?
To eliminate any odors in your Dyson:
- Start by cleaning the filter.
- Empty the dust bin and wash it with warm, soapy water.
- If you have a pre-motor filter, rinse it thoroughly, then leave it to air dry before putting it back into your machine. You can also use a vacuum cleaner attachment to clean the crevices of your machine, such as around the edges of the dust bin.
Why does my Dyson smell musty?
If you have noticed a musty smell coming from your Dyson cleaner, it is likely due to a build-up of dirt and dust accumulated within the filter or other parts of the machine.
To eliminate this odor, it is important to carry out a deep clean of the vacuum cleaner by following these steps:
- Remove the dust bin and empty it into a rubbish bag.
- Take off the filter, shake it over a trash can to remove any dirt particles, then rinse with warm water and allow it to dry fully before re-installing.
- If your machine has a HEPA filter, replace it with a new one.
- Using a damp cloth soaked in white vinegar, wipe down all parts of the machine that have dust or dirt build-up, including any crevices and hard-to-reach areas.
- Vacuum the area around your Dyson and any furniture or carpets within the same room.
- Once you have completed these steps, your Dyson should be completely odor-free and ready to use again.